Lent means “lengthen” and last 40 days. Lent is 40 days to mark Jesus’ journey to the cross and his Passover from death to life. In the Bible:
- Noah and the animals were on the ark 40 days and 40 nights.
- Moses was on Mt. Sinai for 40 days and 40 nights when God gave the 10 commandments.
- The Israelites wandered in the wilderness desert 40 years before reaching the Promised Land.
- Elijah was in the wilderness 40 days before God sent him a new mission.
- After his baptism, Jesus prayed, fasted, and was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days.
During Lent Christians do more things than we usually do to grow in faith including: Bible Study, home devotions, prayer, worship, fasting from excesses or hurtful actions/words, sacrificial financial giving, and works of love and charity. What is one thing you could do in the next 40 days to express your faith?
Prayer: For the next 40 days of my life: Guide me by your Spirit (Name specific guidance you need). Grow my faith. Give me to others. Amen.