Four weeks a year, our Fellowship Hall is turned into four living spaces for families who are homeless and a part of the Family Promise program. Family Promise is the way for us to SHARE THE LOVE OF CHRIST WITH ALL by caring for families in need. We have extra space, we have extra food and God says in Hebrews 13:15 “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
What is Family Promise?
How it Works
Immanuel, in collaboration with other faith communities in Missoula, provide housing and meals for Family Promise of Missoula, an organization who assist families with children who are homeless to regain housing, independence and dignity. Participation in this network offers an opportunity for volunteers of all faiths to reduce homelessness and transform lives. Our church has joined the other Missoula churches to host families (maximum of 4 families or 14 people at a time) for four times per year for one week. The families work with a full time social worker during the day to find long term housing and employment solutions. Overview of Daily Schedule
Family Promise Housing Proposal
Missoula Interfaith Collaborative (MIC) has been working with 11 churches and non-profits to propose a solution to address the 41 families that are homeless each night in Missoula. The proposals could impact Family Promise and the way our congregation engages with these families.
One of the proposals is to create a central location where families who are homeless can go and get services they need. Family Promise congregations would still be involved by providing many of the same services at that central location.
Short video of Casey Dunning from MIC providing background information about the proposal.
- Click here to view the Proposal. (referred to as blue handout)
- Click here to read Values of Family Promise
- Click here to read about Benefits of Hosting in a central location
- Click here to read Questions and Concerns about Housing Solutions
Family Promise & Immanuel
Click to view our video about how Family Promise is making a difference!
Immanuel’s next week for Family Promise is November 13- 20, 2016.
Contact Nancy Marks, Immanuel’s Family Promise Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or406-396-5494 if you can help.
Ways to Volunteer
(Click links to view detailed responsibilities)
Sunday Setup & Cleanup – time based on when trailer arrives. Set up beds/rooms/kitchen area for guest. Unload cots from van that comes from previous church . Set up sleeping area for hosts.
- Sunday Clean up: 7:45- 9 am Clean guest rooms and family room to be ready for church. Includes packing cots, vacuuming, and cleaning the fridge.
- Dinner Prep Duties (5 – 6:30 pm) – Provide/ prepare dinner for all guests and for the dinner hosts (10 adults). Dinner can be prepared in the basement kitchen and is served at 6 pm. Simple is good. Feel free to sign up to be Dinner Hosts as well, but you are not obligated to do both. You will open up the church to Family Promise guests, who arrive at 5:15 pm from the day center/work.
- Evening Host Duties (5:45 – 8:00 pm) As hosts, please help serve dinner, clean up and just be available to talk with families and play with children. 2 adults or a family (kids too) can host.
- Overnight Volunteer Duties (8:00 pm – 7:15 am) 2 adults (1 female) or a couple/ family (kids welcome). Hosts are available for overnight needs. Bedtime is encouraged at 9 pm; guests return to their rooms by 10 pm. Set out breakfast at 6 am and give wake-up call if needed. Beds provided, but bring your own sleeping bags.
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Bring/cook a hot breakfast. Arrive about 7 am and stay until the guests leave for the Day Center ~ 9 am. A gift to sleep in!
- Sunday Laundry Pick up laundry (towels and sheets/ blankets) from Immanuel. Launder and return them within 2 weeks. Please return laundry to the appropriate tubs.
Food/ Items Donations
When purchasing items, plan food for 10 people (4-6 adults). Please bring donations to church no later than the first Sunday that we host. Check the sign up sheet or contact Nancy Marks, Immanuel’s Family Promise Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or406-396-5494 if you can help.
CLICK HERE more information about Family Promise Missoula