Immanuel is involved in several outreach opportunities into our community including Family Promise and Washington Middle School. As we move into 2022, we are looking at ways we might enhance our Outreach opportunities.
Two opportunities are coming up this month.
- Wrestling with the Truth of Colonialism is an educational opportunity to help us work on barriers we may experience when working alongside people from regional Indigenous cultures.
- The Housing Advocate Network- gives us an opportunity to work more closely with individuals or families who are seeking housing. As we have moved into the Family Housing Center, it is often more difficult to make those personal connections with families. The HAN would provide this opportunity to walk alongside and build relationships to support them on their journey. What fun it would be to volunteer during one of our Family Promise weeks and be able to know a family by name!
These two opportunities work together to help us at Immanuel live out our mission to be a “caring, compassionate and diverse community”. Please review the information below and prayerfully consider joining us to learn more.
Wrestling with the Truth of Colonialism
This past fall, Intern Pastor Rebekah Cochrane and John Brock attended an online workshop presented by Common Ground of Missoula and Missoula Interfaith Collaborative. This workshop was developed, and will be presented, in partnership with tribes in Missoula and surrounding areas. It is designed to help participants begin working on some of the barriers to communication and collaboration that exist between people from settler cultures and from regional Indigenous cultures.
The winter workshop will start in the last week of January. To learn more about this program and how you can become involved, John Brock will be providing a temple talk and there will be a meeting after worship for anyone interested in learning more.
Some details and dates:
- January 16, 2022…Join us for a Forum from 11:10 to 12:10 in the Fellowship Hall or attend on ZOOM
- Attend one of the pre-workshop briefings, designed to help you decide if you want to attend the workshop. (required for participation) They are 30 minutes long and will be held on January 24th at 11:00 AM; January 25th at 12:00 PM; January 26th at 9:30 AM; January 26th at 5:30 PM; and January 31st at 5:00 PM.
- The workshop, Wrestling with the Truth of Colonization, February 2022 will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays February 1st through February 15th (5 Sessions), 6:30 – 8:30 PM; and Tuesdays March 15th, April 12th, and May 10th, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
Housing Advocate Network
Come learn more about the Housing Advocate Network, a program of Missoula Interfaith Collaborative. Zeke Campfield from the Housing Advocate Network will be providing a temple talk during worship and a team of advocates will be providing a forum after worship to learn more about what the Housing Advocate Network is all about and how we, at Immanuel, might become involved.
The Housing Advocate Network, a program of MIC, is a collection of everyday citizens who volunteer their time by walking alongside individuals and families who are at risk of losing housing or are currently homeless in an effort to help people move from homelessness into housing. Training and support are provided.
- DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED… Join us from 11:10- 12:10 in the Fellowship Hall for a Forum led by a group from other churches in Missoula as they share how they are doing this work.
Signup to participate
Signup below for Forum to learn more information. Both will be offered in person and on zoom. A zoom link will be sent after registration.
The blue button will provide more information and sign up for Wrestling with the Truth.