Four weeks a year, members of Immanuel volunteer at the Family Housing Center to support families who are experiencing homelessness and a part of the Family Promise program. Family Promise is the way for us to SHARE THE LOVE OF CHRIST WITH ALL by caring for families in need. We have the time, we have extra food and God says in Hebrews 13:15 “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”
What is Family Promise?
How it Works
Immanuel, in collaboration with other faith communities in Missoula, provides salads and desserts, helps serve meals and provides an overnight volunteer for Family Promise of Missoula, an organization who in partnership with the Missoula YWCA to assist families with children experiencing homelessness to regain housing, independence and dignity at the Family Housing Center. Participation in this network offers an opportunity for volunteers of all faiths to reduce homelessness and transform lives. Our church has joined the other Missoula churches to host families four times per year for one week. The families work with a full time Family Support Specialist during the day to find long term housing and employment solutions.
Volunteer during our Rotation
Immanuel Lutheran and Atonement Lutheran Church partner to provide volunteers four times a year to serve families who are housed at the Family Housing Center (FHC) located at 1800 South 3rd St West. For details check out the signup link below
- December 27- January 2, 2022
- March 28- April 3
- September 26- Oct 2
- December 19-25
How to Volunteer
During our Rotation week:
For more details about what each volunteer opportunity includes, download the To Do List for that responsibilities. These To Do Lists are also available at the Family Housing Center.
- PROVIDE GAS CARDS &/OR GIFT CARDS– gas cards and gift cards are used to support families at the FHC as they work to find housing.
- DINNER ASSISTANCE (5:00-8ish pm) We will need volunteers to provide salads and desserts and assist in the kitchen. There are slots for salad, desserts, and volunteers. Ideally it would be great if you can bring a salad or dessert and stay to volunteer.
- Please have salads and desserts there by 5 pm.
- Set up will be from 5-5:30 and we will serve and clean up from 5:30-8, or whenever everyone is finished. There will be 1-2 seatings depending on the number of guests.
- OVERNIGHT VOLUNTEER (8:00 pm – 7:00 am ) One overnight host (or a couple) will be needed each night from 8 pm to 7 am. The overnight volunteer lets families in the front door between 8 and 10 pm and is also there to support the awake YWCA staff on that shift. The volunteer will sleep in a secure room with a bathroom and shower available. Bring your own bedding and a towel.
LAUNDRY-(on call). Volunteers are needed to do laundry (bedding and towels) when families move out of the Family Housing Center. Laundry can be done at home, at the FHC (quarters provided) or at a laundromat.
OTHER WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
Check out the Family Promise Volunteer Page for other ways to volunteer. Volunteers are needed to turn over rooms as well as other tasks that come up periodically.
Contact Nancy Marks, Immanuel’s Family Promise Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or 406-396-5494 if you have questions or or ideas for ways to help.
CLICK HERE to learn more about Family Promise Missoula
You must be logged in to post a comment.